The NL100AK AC pre-amplifer headstage is a differential input, low noise, high impedance buffer amplifier suitable for low noise extracellular recording, primarily with metal electrodes, including tungsten micro-electrodes. The headstage is supplied as standard with a removable 6.4mm diameter stainless steel manipulator mounting rod. Power is provided by the NL104A AC pre-amplifier via a 4 way lemo plug and socket, however, this headstage can also be used in conjunction with older NeuroLog System amplifiers (NL103, NL104, NL107), as well as the newer NL109 Bridge Amplifier, please specify with your order. Each NL100AK headstage is supplied with an NL973A Accessory Kit which contains 1mm and 2mm plugs, a U-shaped input jumper and an allen key.
For applications where electrical stimulation through the recording electrode is required, we recommend our NL100RK headstage, which features stimulus/record relay circuitry. This system would be ideal for electrical lesioning of tissue in order to identify an extracellular recording site once an experiment is concluded.
- Input resistance: 100MΩ
- Gain: x1
- Input noise: <2μV (peak to peak) with inputs shorted, <25μV for typical tungsten microelectrode in saline, <30μV with a 1MΩ resistor between inputs (bandwidth in all three cases, 10Hz to 10kHz)
- Dimensions: 35.6mm x 9.5mm diameter
- Cable length: 2m
- Connections: +IN (2mm socket) for non-inverting input (accepts plugs supplied and optional NL101 electrode chambers), -IN (1mm socket) for inverting input connection to reference electrode or via U connector (supplied) to ground socket (GND). GND (1mm socket) connected to mains earth.
1. How long is the NL100AK cable ?
The cable fitted to the NL100AK is approximately 2m in length. If additional length is required, we offer an extension lead (NL954K), which is 2m long.
NL100AK – Headstage
Publications which cite use of the NL100AK can be found on Google Scholar.
- NL973A Accessory Kit – Contains 1mm and 2mm plugs, a U-shaped input jumper and an allen key.
- NL08 – Micro-electrode adaptor – 2mm pin to 0.8mm jack. Fits commercially available electrodes.
- NL04 – Tungsten micro-electrode holder – 26 gauge hypodermic needle tube soldered into a drilled out 2mm pin.
- NL101-xx – Electrode chambers for glass recording pipettes. Available with 1mm or 2mm pins, for glass of 1, 1.2, 1.5 & 2mm. Polycabonate tube for 1.0, 1.2, 1.5 or 2mm o.d. glass.