The PLI-100A Pico-Injector reliably delivers injections from femtoliters to nanoliters through micropipettes by applying a regulated pressure for a digitally set period of time.
- Femtoliter to microliter injections
- Digital readouts for injection pressure, time, and count
- Reliable optically encoded circuit for injection time set
- 5 pressures: inject, balance, clear, fill and hold
Pressure to the pipette is controlled precisely through a multi-turn regulator, and is reported digitally for reproducibility. Injection time is set using an optically encoded circuit which permits fine and coarse settings from a single knob.
The system timer can be controlled in three ways, front panel push button, foot switch, and external trigger input BNC.
Whether you need to do large injections into capillaries or very small injections into mammalian nuclei, the PLI-100A is up for the task.
The PLI-100A features two negative and three positive pressure pneumatic capabilities.
The negative or vacuum functions allow the user to:-
- Fill micropipettes from their tips, reducing waste of pipettes.
- Provide a means to secure and manipulate a cell using holding pipette.
- The positive pressures allow the user to:
- Inject precise amounts of fluids
- Create a balance pressure which prevents backflow into the micropipette following an injection
- Clear a micropipette of material in it
The PLI-100A’s important ‘Balance’, ‘Hold’ and ‘Clear’ functions are features not found on other microinjection units.
In addition to the injection pressure, the Pico-Injector offers a secondary balance pressure. This adjustable pressure keeps a positive pressure on the injection pipette before and after injections. This eliminates dilution caused by capillary action and aids in the prevention of clogging. Wasteful continuous injection, which often occurs when no separate balance pressure is offered by an injection device, is avoided.
There are two built-in vacuum generators to fill a micropipette from the tip and to hold suspended cells. Filling the pipette from the tip is easier than back filling. The PLI-100A features a Fill Vacuum adjustment on the front panel. Suspended cells can be held with a second (holding) pipette. The holding vacuums range accommodates most cell types.
A high-pressure pulse can be used for clearing a pipette, should it happen to clog. This is particularly useful when working with pipettes sized for smaller volumes.
BNC type connectors are available at the front panel to ease integrating the Pico-Injector with other equipment. Synchronization of injections to other stimulations or recordings is therefore possible.
The PLI-100A is available in three packages: Basic, Plus, and Deluxe.
- The Basic unit is supplied with an input hose, output hose, holding hose, and input hose adapter.
- The Plus unit also includes a foot switch, pipette holder, and input hose adapter.
- The Deluxe unit includes all the accessories included with the Plus and an additional foot switch and pipette holder.
- Input Gas Pressure: 75 PSI Recommended, 105 PSI Maximum
- Injection Pressure: 0.2 to 60 PSI (413 kPa), regulated
- Balance Pressure: 0.1 to 9.9 PSI (68.9 kPa) regulated, multiturn control, other ranges available on request
- Fill Vacuum Internally produced: 0 to -12 PSI (0 to-82 kPa), regulated
- Holding Vacuum Internally produced: 0 to -0.1 PSI (0 to -0.75 kPa), regulated
- Clearing Pressure Input gas pressure: Unregulated
- Injection Time: 0.01 to 99.99 Seconds
- Injection Time Accuracy: ±0.01% (Crystal Time Base)
- Duration Mode: Internally timed or externally gated
- Time Trigger: Front panel, foot switch, or external TTL pulse (BNC)
- Pressure Units: PSI /kPa switch selectable
- Pressure Monitor Output: BNC, Rear Panel, 10 mV/PSI or 1 mV/kPa
- Pressure Readout: Inject, balance, clear, output port
- Pressure Display Resolution: 3½ Digits, 0.1 PSI or 1 kPa
- Injection Count Display: 0 to 9999 Injections
- Power Input: External 9VDC @ 400mA (min) Power Supply universal input 90 to 264 VAC
- Weight: 5.44 kg (12 lb)
- Dimensions: (HxWxD) 89 x 432 x 250 mm (H x W x D)
- Warranty One year, parts & labour